Shawanga Mountain House?

rpshanley

Shawanga Mountain House?

Post by rpshanley »

In the 1934 Vacation Guide that's posted on the site, I see that the Shawanga Mountain House was a separate hotel, smaller than Sha-Wan-Ga Lodge, but also located near the High View station. Does anyone know exactly where the SMH was located? I'm too young to have been to these resorts, but enjoying the area these days and learning the history!
gary

Re: Shawanga Mountain House?

Post by gary »

The only thing I could find was:

Code: Select all

http://www.scnyhistory.org/index.php/history/mamakating/495-fifteen-thousand-dollar-boarding-house-sold
---------------------------------
March 7, 1912, Livingston Manor Times
“J P Bennett, proprietor of the well known Shawangunk Mountain House at Highview, overlooking the village of Bloomingburgh, has sold the property for $15,000 to William Hultslander of Highview and Benj. Decker of Lake, Orange County.

“The house will accommodate 125 and is so situated as to afford a grand view from the balcony, covering a distance of 25 miles.”

I tried looking up post cards that are for sale hoping one would have a return address. no luck

i did find something from

Code: Select all

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/46817428/shawangunk-mountain-house/
see attachment

This is where i think it was: Next to the highview train station, now someone's house, near the tunnel is Mamakating park. there is a hill that would have overlooked Bloomingburg, especially back then, the old pictures show a landscape with few trees. The 1920 or 1921 shawanga brochure mention that there is a post office at the train station
Attachments
map-view.png
map-view.png (424.73 KiB) Viewed 649 times
smh.png
smh.png (53.44 KiB) Viewed 657 times
rpshanley

Post by rpshanley »

Interesting, thanks. Wow, $15K, what a steal! :)
gary

Post by gary »

There was another hotel in that area called the Overlook, don't have much info from that one.

Does Bloomingburg have a town museum?

The eagles nest is in the '34 guide. they are still around, though not as a hotel anymore. I have a vague recollection of when shawanga overbooked they used eagles nest.

in one of the 1940's brochure, second to last page, it mentions to people driving by car not to be confused my hotels with a similar name. I wonder if they mean this one?